As I wandered the small alley streets in Spain and thinking about my travels around Europe during my semester abroad, I envisioned a DIY project with all my travel souvenirs collected into a travel art piece to hang on my wall. My idea was to use a shadow box to bring together some of the items from my semester. While I was there, I looked for small tokens to include in my shadow box. I bought some old stamped envelopes from a famous market in Sevilla, found a variety of seashells on the beaches in Portugal and gathered maps, brochures, postcards and more to remember my times in Spain. My goal afterwards was to complete this project and I couldn’t be happier with the result!
I think it’s so important to be around things, memories and people to inspire you, so I loved the idea of bringing a semester of adventure together into one little frame. I also knew I wanted to create a travel art gallery wall in my apartment for senior year, with the travel collage as a main focus in it. In the end, it all came together with other Spain photos and art from my trip.
Creating the souvenir wall art was really easy, but perhaps the hardest part was choosing what to put inside. Here’s some of the materials I used:
- A map of Sevilla, Spain, where I studied abroad, provided by my study abroad program
- A small heart cut out of scrapbook paper, placed on the map where my homestay was located
- A flamenco show ticket from orientation
- A seashell from Portugal
- A parrot cutout from a piña colada in Portugal
- My Sevilla sticker design I made for one of my classes
- A Euro-Visions live cinema show sticker
- An envelope stamped from Barcelona I bought from a street market when I interviewed a man for my magazine class
- White flowers from a flower headband I purchased in Istanbul
With a variety of souvenirs, I was able to piece together the story of a semester abroad, full of possibilities and memories.
How to Make Your Own:
1. Gather your souvenirs, including a map or piece of scrapbook paper or wrapping paper for the background. Experiment with the placement of all your trinkets to find the perfect way to place them all before gluing.
2. Measure your background using the cardboard that came with your shadow box frame and glue your background piece of paper to the cardboard that you will use for the base of your collage.
3. Hot glue your seashells, stickers, tickets, maps, etc. to the background to ensure they will not move.
4. Assemble your shadow box frame together and find the perfect place to hang it on your wall.
As you can see, it’s very easy! It’s also, a unique way to display travel memories so you can be reminded of your adventures without scrolling through Facebook or looking through a scrapbook. Pair it with other travel art and scenes from your adventures for a room or a home full of wonder that inspires us to simply wander.
What is your favorite way to remember memories from traveling?